As the end of the semester nears, it's time for the same ol' routine we encounter every single year. Between final grades, final exams, final essays, cumulative projects, letters of recommendation, and more, we need to remember that we've made it through before.
1. It's officially excuse season. Our students suddenly realize that there are less than two weeks left in the grading period, and they get pretty creative.
2. While some of the excuses demonstrate creativity and ingenuity, others are just .... blah. It's like they think this is our first year teaching or that we didn't attend high school ourselves.
3. Then there is that moment when you realize that last week's plans are completely back firing on you right now. Lesson learned: watch the movie AFTER students turn in their essays.
4. During this time you might begin to wonder why you have a Google Classroom, classroom website, parent information page, digital calendar, whiteboard calendar, and Remind account.
5. The begging and pleading during the end of the semester is almost comical.
6. And then you look back at your desk and remember all of the grading you still need to do. Just the mere thought of it makes you question your sanity.
7. But just like every single semester before, you make it through and grade that one last, glorious paper or exam.
8. That is when reality sets in and your to-do list is complete for the first time since the semester began. You also realize you won't be waking up at 5:00 for the next couple weeks.
9. Enjoy your break, teachers. You deserve it!
You might enjoy these end of the semester activities in your classroom: