How I Use Pinterest as an Educator

This blog post is part of the Secondary Smorgasboard Linky hosted by the ELA Buffet and Desktop Learning Adventures. To read about more great teacher Pinterest uses, click on the links at the end of this post :)

Like so many other teachers, I LOVE Pinterest. From classroom décor, to lesson plans, to behavior management, Pinterest has everything (and then some) that a teacher could ask for. And while Pinterest can be a treasure chest filled to the brim with clever ideas, it can also be a bit intimidating as well. I remember feeling the stress of planning my son's first birthday party. I blame the hours upon hours I spent looking at top-notch Pinterest birthday parties. While browsing through Pinterest (whether it be for teaching ideas, wedding decor, birthday party ideas, or anything else), it is important to not compare.

As a secondary English teacher, I use Pinterest almost daily to look for ways to improve my lessons, hone my teaching craft, and decorate my classroom. With the latter being my favorite. Follow me on Pinterest HERE! 


One of my favorite Pinterest boards is my Classroom Inspiration board. Before discovering how teaching and Pinterest work hand-in-hand, I just simply purchased some writing process posters at a big-box teacher store, stapled them to my (otherwise rather bare) walls, and called it a day. That isn’t happening anymore, and I’m really excited to completely redo my classroom this year.

Secondary teachers can use Pinterest to find fun, colorful, and age-appropriate ways to decorate their classrooms. Check out all of the secondary classroom décor ideas I’ve pinned to my Classroom Inspiration board.

Another board I use a lot is my Secondary ELA Resources board. While I occasionally pin some of my Teachers Pay Teachers resources to this board, I try to mostly pin free lessons, innovative ideas, and helpful strategies that compliment what I teach in my own classroom. Whenever I’m looking for complimentary resources for a common core lesson I’m teaching, I’ll go back and look at this board to see if I can find anything that is useful for me.

Check out all of the secondary English teaching resources and ideas I’ve pinned to my Secondary ELA Resources board.  



Secondary Smorgasbord Linky

17 comments:

  1. Your boards look great and you are so organized! That is such a great skill to teach our students, and you are doing it with technology to boot! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOHH I am definitely going to get lost in your inspiration board tonight for decorating!! :) Love it. Thanks for sharing!
    -Brigid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that board. I implemented a couple ideas in my own classroom this year and I am so thrilled with the outcome.

      Delete
  3. What? A high school English teacher who decorates?? JUST kidding... good for you for wanting an attractive learning environment for your learners too! I'm not that great in the decor department personally (I teach grade 8 French Language arts & social studies) but I do try! I'l have to look for what new ideas I can incorporate from your pinterest boards!

    Tammy @ Teaching FSL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to make my room colorful and fun to look at. It's definitely a bit girly, though.

      Delete
  4. ARGH... can't see how to edit a comment, and I spelled "I'LL" wrong above. Silly keyboard! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am horrible at decorating! I can't wait to check out your board--Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great covers and matching boards! Wow. They look so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like how they are all uniform, but you can still see pictures underneath.

      Delete
  7. Your Journalism Teaching Resources board is great, too. I just followed all your boards :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janice. I used to teach journalism, but I don't have it this year. I stock-piled so many resources into that board.

      Delete
  8. I can't wait to browse around your Secondary English board! It sounds great!
    Darlene
    ELABuffet

    ReplyDelete